CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 29, 2013

Pantry Challenge Week 2

So far we're doing pretty great on the pantry challenge! I am enjoying trying to make meals from what is here in the house. Tonight I made orange chicken with homemade orange sauce (see below for recipe) all with things I had on hand. I also made homemade Greek yogurt yesterday/last night, so we will have that for breakfast and snacks this week.

I have to admit, I'm pretty lucky with this challenge because the kiddos go to eat with their dad on Tues and sometimes Thurs and this is his weekend, so the kids aren't here for those meals. Also we had a family reunion this weekend, so most of our meals were eaten at Poppa and Nona's house.

Because of this, our challenge hasn't seemed too "challenging" just yet (knock on wood, right?). We've also been blessed by some "gifts" this week. I just ran out of shampoo on Monday and I was afraid I would have to buckle and buy new shampoo. We went to my mom's to swim and she handed me a bag of "stuff" and said that she was cleaning out some cabinets and found some things I might like. Of course, there was a huge bottle of shampoo and a bunch of samples of shampoo and conditioner, so I should be set for the remainder of the challenge! That's God's amazing timing and knowing what I needed and when I needed it. Philippians 4:19 says, "My God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory." Even something as trite as shampoo can be supplied!

Here is the menu for this week:

Monday-
B-Toast(from homemade bread) and Eggs/Pancakes (from the freezer)
L-Meatball Sliders (freezer) and homemade slider rolls, chips, homemade pickles, peaches (Homemade Mango Popsicles for dessert)
D-Orange Chicken (Chicken Tenders from freezer), Stir Fry Veggies, Brown Rice, Grapes

Tuesday-
B-Toast/Greek Yogurt and Fruit
L-Fish and Chips, Fruit
D-Out with Dad

Wednesday-
B-French Toast (using homemade bread) and Grapes
L-Homemade Chicken and Noodles, Fruit
D-Honey Orange Pork Tenderloin, Fingerling Potatoes, Carrots

Thursday-
B-Cereal
L-Beef and Rice/Fruit
D-dad

Friday-Sunday

Sunday Dinner-
Homemade Spaghetti o's/Veggie Sticks, Garlic Bread Sticks

Spent on Groceries Last week: ZERO
Exemptions I foresee this week: Maybe peaches at the farm stand


Orange Sauce for Orange Chicken

1/4 cup orange marmalade
2 tablespoons of ketchup
1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
garlic powder*
ground ginger*
*according to your taste
2 tablespoons of fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon of orange zest
Cornstarch

Heat all over low heat until all ingredients have mixed well. Add cornstarch to thicken. Pour over chicken (tenders or grilled), veggies, and rice!
2 tablespoons of soy sauc

0 comments: