CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pantry Challenge

Has anyone ever done a pantry/freezer challenge before? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Didn't think so. Me either! So, why not try with me! Come on-It'll be fun!!!

A pantry/freezer challenge can have many different rules and lots of reasons behind it. Here are my rules and my reasons!!

Rules:

I will not shop for any groceries for 32 days! I will use whatever is in my pantry, sitting on my shelves right now or in my freezer to feed us for breakfast, lunch, and dinner from July 22 until August 24th. I may take leftovers from anyone and everyone! This also means I will have to supply the first week of school lunches from my pantry/freezer.

Reasons:

My reasons are pretty simple. I basically want to try and save money. I am one of those people that loves to grocery shop and I love to cook even more, so I like to spend a lot of money on food! I think I can be a better steward with my money if I use up some of the things I have rather than running to store on a whim for one or two ingredients (because you never walk out with the one thing you came in for, right?)

What does this mean?

This means we will probably be eating a lot more meatless meals. I didn't "prep" for this challenge, meaning I didn't just go to the grocery store yesterday and spend a ton of money to get us through the next few weeks. I did go to the store, but I spent about 30 bucks and purchased food for the twinkies' birthday party, so there isn't any of that food left over!

I have some meat in my freezer from my last big shopping trip, so I'm just going to have to make do with that! We have two dozen eggs in the fridge, so those might be a source of our protein when we run out of meat.

This also means that I'm going to have to get creative and really think outside the box towards the end of the challenge.

Exceptions:

I am allowing myself the following exceptions to the grocery store rule:

-We have a family reunion coming up and I do not have the goods necessary to make what I am planning on bringing
-TOILET PAPER!!! I noticed that our supply is getting low, so I will need to get that item!

Here's This week's menu

Monday:
B-cinnamon toast from homemade bread (kids were with their dad)
L-pizza (kid's choice birthday lunch)
D-leftover pizza from lunch, homemade pickles, mangoes

Tuesday:
B-Leftover hash browns and blueberry muffins, mangoes
L-homemade refried beans and cheese, tortilla chips, peaches
D-lasagna, homemade garlic bread, salad, blackberry crumble

Wednesday:
B-homemade yogurt with peaches and toast from homemade bread
L-lasagna leftovers
D-dinner with Dad

Thursday:
B-eggs with sausage and hash brown casserole (freezer)
L-corn dog muffins (freezer), pirate popcorn, strawberries
D-dinner with Poppa and Nona

Weekend-Friday through Sunday Breakfast-Family Reunion weekend

Sunday dinner-
Pintos, Cornbread, Mashed Potatoes

Can't wait to report back to tell you how it's going!

0 comments: